Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Ring around



Since my stays are complete- I have begun work on my Pannier.  It is proving to be much more difficult that I expected to achieve all of my wants with this project

The pannier is made of buckram covered hooping wire sewn into natural colored twill tape channels.  Each of the bones are trimmed and taped to prevent them from poking through.  I use the natural bend of the wire to achieve the shape. 

  • Wants:
    • For it to be supportive!!!
    • For the pannier to fit under my corset (this is the first thing I Will abandon if necessary)
    • For it to be a skeletal frame only (rather than pocket hoops which I find to be ugly)
I'm finding that I can achieve the look I want but it does not have the strength I desire. The cage skirts I already make are more modern but are intended as outwear.  I am trying to achieve the same look but with enough strength to hold up 2 or 3 (or 4) skirts.  I am also trying to keep the proportions grand enough for a costume as opposed to clothing. I find that I tend to err on the subtle or simple side.  That will NOT work for this event.


Slow uneven progress





No comments:

Post a Comment