Monday, August 5, 2013

petticoat junction

I have had a mental block when it comes to executing the petticoat.  There is something quite foreign to me about trying to scoop out the front of skirt to ensure the hem lays parallel the ground. I am accustomed to be able to adjust the hem after the fact!

My futile desire for perfection has caused a great deal of procrastination.

That said- I finally decided to break down and create a petticoat out of muslin.  I wound up rebuilding the waist band twice.  The first time I pleated the fabric up- I found that it made odd bumps at the side of the hip.  Sloping the waist more gently rather than eliminating it to a direct point helped to eliminate this problem. I added a ruffle at the bottom for weight









  I initially thought that I could use this as an extra layer over my quilted petticoat for fullness. The reality is I am not likely to put a muslin skirt over a silk one. Still I am glad I made it because I learned a lot about the process without having to cut into a more expensive project.   


No comments:

Post a Comment