Saturday, June 1, 2013

Fitting


My frustration with the cursed panniers has caused me to abandon them (temporarily) and look at other aspects of my project.

I decided that I would create a Pet en l'air before I made my Robe a la Francaise.  A pet en l'air is a shortened version of the latter.  By making one- I could get a better feel for how the pattern goes together and work out any kinks before I have to cut the longer and more expensive version.  Additionally- for my gown- I want to deviate from the pattern.  Having not made this gown before- altering the pattern would be like changing a recipe you've never tasted.  It's too hard to know how much or exactly wear to change.  


I started with making a mock up of the lining only. 
 

Doesn't really fit my form because my form can't wear stays


I really like how the back of the gown uses hidden ties to make it adjustable- perfect since I’m making a gown for many months from now and weight can change! (hopefully for the better!)


I am so lucky that for my 'regular job' I work in the apparel industry with many talented designers.  One of whom offered to help me with fitting my mock up Pet en l'air before work one day.  Of course it is impossible for me to fit myself in my own garment and so her help was invaluable in my process.  (thank you!!)




The sleeves seem really really big so we have pinned them in some. I am worried that if the sleeves don’t fit- my costume might look more like a rental.
  Next:  on to making the garment!

No comments:

Post a Comment